• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Another Turbo Gone
3 3

23 posts in this topic

Turbo blown last week on my 130bhp 1.6 diesel. Doing sales rep miles so have done 43K in 14 months but it's not missed a beat until now and was proving to be 10 times better than the Sportage it replaced. Been super in pretty much every way to date and local dealer excellent.

As per the other thread on this issue I drove for a day before reporting the whistling noise as it was barely noticable to start, and Renault Breakdown sent the RAC straight round - their guy though was not 100% it was the turbo as there was a noise when revs were coming down as well as when accelerating. Was told it OK to run into local dealer in Shrewsbury only 10 minutes away but they've confirmed the worst - turbo shot and new engine required - 3 to 4 week job. Had already sorted a hire vehicle so pootling round in a Hyundao i40 for now - Renault picking up the tab, but can't wait to get the Kadjar back as the i40's not a patch on it.................

This has got me worried. I have a distinct whistling sound on my Nov 2016 1.2 petrol. It rises and falls with engine revs. Could the turbo be on its way out?

Only picked it up less than 2 weeks ago with 8000 miles on it.

Can i add a fifth to the list? 2016 1.6 dci Sig Nav AWD with 28k miles, same whistling noise as described but as Renault couldn't/didn't get back to us for over a week (car booked in for Wednesday) it gave up last night.

That said, Renault Assist and the RAC have been brilliant since!

Can anyone give a heads up to what happens with Renault now??

Cheers!

I can add a sixth!

My 17plate 1.6d 130 bhp 4x4 gave in yesterday after only 4950 miles! 

Slight whinning noise started and within 2 miles lost all power. RAC came and started the car and sounded like a bag of spanner’s and thick black smoke from the exhaust, he know instantly it was the turbo that had gone.

Hopefully it’s just the turbo and not affected the engine, will find out on Tuesday when my local dealer can get round to looking at it.

19 hours ago, Tigpop said:

I can add a sixth!

My 17plate 1.6d 130 bhp 4x4 gave in yesterday after only 4950 miles! 

Slight whinning noise started and within 2 miles lost all power. RAC came and started the car and sounded like a bag of spanner’s and thick black smoke from the exhaust, he know instantly it was the turbo that had gone.

Hopefully it’s just the turbo and not affected the engine, will find out on Tuesday when my local dealer can get round to looking at it.

And another 1.6 dci. What does the Nissan forum say????

Hi

Let’s not forget 4,435 🤔 members on this forum and SIX  😯 blown turbos 🤔  and yes mine is 1.6 4x4  😟

JC 😎😎🥃🥃

23 minutes ago, J C said:

Hi

Let’s not forget 4,435 🤔 members on this forum and SIX  😯 blown turbos 🤔  and yes mine is 1.6 4x4  😟

JC 😎😎🥃🥃

That much? This is simpy not standable... 1.5 promile? Is this even sttaistic error?

I do not know where is the problem... if turbo is blown and car has warranty (means it has all inspections done either by authorised garage or independet garage which meets requirements) then there is no objectivs that warranty was approved.

If you do not know; a lot of Meganes, Scenics and Talismans (latest generation) with 1.5 dCi and 1.6 dCi just stops in freeze cold on the road because of watter in the intercooler. Problem was humidity in air, cold air and water condensation in intercooler. It blows a fuse. In my country all new cars has 2-years general warranty with Renault on the road assistance. All affected cars were towed to authorised garage... no problem with Renault atitude or treating customers... but it is look like that problime is in design so there will be a tech note and recall to fix this problem... even tough that all injectors and intercooler is cleaned, fuse changed it can happen again... there will be modification on grill mask (air deflector).

16 hours ago, robertp said:

I do not know where is the problem... if turbo is blown and car has warranty (means it has all inspections done either by authorised garage or independet garage which meets requirements) then there is no objectivs that warranty was approved.

If you do not know; a lot of Meganes, Scenics and Talismans (latest generation) with 1.5 dCi and 1.6 dCi just stops in freeze cold on the road because of watter in the intercooler. Problem was humidity in air, cold air and water condensation in intercooler. It blows a fuse. In my country all new cars has 2-years general warranty with Renault on the road assistance. All affected cars were towed to authorised garage... no problem with Renault atitude or treating customers... but it is look like that problime is in design so there will be a tech note and recall to fix this problem... even tough that all injectors and intercooler is cleaned, fuse changed it can happen again... there will be modification on grill mask (air deflector).

We simply don't get the prolonged cold here in the Uk so is much less likely to happen. If you follow the forum closely, as you do, you will see many UK owners have real problems getting good resolutions out of Renault Uk, maybe you get treated better but many will always remain skeptical

Just been confirmed today by my Renault dealership that it is the turbo that has packed in. They also say that there is none available from Renault in the UK or France, so the part has been placed on back order and may take 2 Weeks or longer to arrive!

1 hour ago, Tigpop said:

Just been confirmed today by my Renault dealership that it is the turbo that has packed in. They also say that there is none available from Renault in the UK or France, so the part has been placed on back order and may take 2 Weeks or longer to arrive!

Will the provide you with a car for the two weeks....

They have provided me with a like for like replacement car from Enterprise, a Renault Captur Expression + (my Kadjar being a Signature S Nav 4x4!). Not only that but with the Enterprise insurance policy, the excess is £500 even if the car is returned with a stone chip on the windscreen! Being onto Renault UK for the last two days trying for them to sort me something more appropriate out for what could be many weeks without my own car.

As a soon to be 1.2 Turbo EDC owner ...

Can I ask :

1) are these turbo failures more prone to  petrol or diesel ?

2) are people allowing the engine to idle a few minutes and hence allow pumped oil to cool the turbo bearings before switch off after a run ( or I suspect any use actually, as its a small cc engine I expect the turbo is always red hot whatever the load or driving  style ).

3) have services been done at 12000mile  or 1 year whichever comes first : I see the manual quotes 18,000 or one year but this has always been set to company car lease deals so look attractive for a 2 year lease with maybe one service. Then the subsequent private owners pick up the car with worn engines and then problems such as this. Had a VW Touran DSG once with 'long life' oil regime. A complete con for a private buyer of a company car. The car drank oil so that effectively you changed the expensive 0W oil yourself over 3 months by topping up every 1200 miles.

Hi Yes just had thought bit unusual but hey what the think you are saying quite rightly do not stop engine without  idling for a couple of minutes so as to cool and lubriate turbo bearings now my thought is STOP START  just stops  engine  is this a good idea?????

JC😎😎🥃🥃 

13 hours ago, J C said:

Hi Yes just had thought bit unusual but hey what the think you are saying quite rightly do not stop engine without  idling for a couple of minutes so as to cool and lubriate turbo bearings now my thought is STOP START  just stops  engine  is this a good idea?????

JC😎😎🥃🥃 

We touched on this yesterday as it seems there are many complaints about turbo or complete engine failure on the Qashqai forum. Both brands use the same engine across a range of models. Many more complaints on there than here but that's likely because more Qashqai's are sold than Kadjars.

Valid point JC. the advice in the old days was to always let the engine idle when hot before switching off. I don't know if that still stands or if modern lubricants have overcome the issue, but I think if I had the 1.2 petrol. I'd defeat the stop/start function assuming it's fitted to that engine.

I think we are on to something here in that the Stop-Start could be the root cause of turbo failures.

"Turbo-Gate" could entail another class-action like the VW one against a 'not fit for purpose' system if it is proved to cause this premature turbo failure and engine damage.

I don't know if the Renault 'CLIP' tool ( dealer software tool) can disable the feature from always activating after an engine restart ie to disable the function.I will ask my son who has just started an apprenticeship as a service technician with Renault Retail Group.

I would be happy if Renault allowed us to disable it per car ownership , not as now per journey , with a user control via touch screen or say a long press on its dash (temporary)  disable switch. We are allowed to turn on or off a variety of safety functions at our own risk so I don't see why we cant't be allowed to decide to look after our engines as we see fit too.