No Light in Glove Compartment :(
2 2

75 posts in this topic

This does not surprise me in the slightest.

There's a number of features that you would expect to be on this top of the  range car that aren't.

Even more annoying is that the manuals lead you into believing they are standard.

One of the reason I'm now an ex Kadjar owner. 

Unfortunately this appears to be yet another missing detail from Renault. The list seems to grow day by day. I agree that any top spec model should have a glove box light. They've gone to the trouble to make it a decent size yet fail to put a light in it! Why? 

Come on Renault Stop scrimping on the accessories!

Also no ambient lighting - cabin is pitch black at night - even with the panoramic room open

I actually mentioned when I opened this thread how difficult it was to find the door switch's due to lack of illuminated switch's .

Honestly, I really do think the Kadjar is lacking the most basic of features.

I actually mentioned when I opened this thread how difficult it was to find the door switch's due to lack of illuminated switch's .

Honestly, I really do think the Kadjar is lacking the most basic of features.

True the illuminated door switches are missing, but the ambient cabin lighting is something else. Cheaper cars like the Mitsubishi ASX have it. I have it on my BMW 5 series - a light orange hue which is not immediately noticeable, but creates a very faint light in the cabin to keep it from being pitch black at night.

My Peugeot also had it, the Volvo I just ordered has it, and can be set to 7 different "themes", so does the Audi Q3, Mercedes A class & GLA, even my old Astra Sri on a 56 plate had it !!!

I know ambient lighting doesn't come on all cars, but I'm really struggling to think of a car I've owned, and there's been a lot, that didn't have a basic light in the glove compartment.  

I'd be careful if anyone is considering adding a glove compartment  light or even upgrading standard bulbs to LED's.

The majority of new cars now use a Canbus reading system where the cars brain constantly checks that the electrical system is using the EXACT voltage that it was intended to be from manufacture throughout the car, so if you add an extra light the Canbus may notice this and report an error.

The same could apply if you change your standard bulbs to brighter LED's, because LED's use less power the system again could think that a cars bulb has blown , so will again report a fault.

You can install resistors onto the lighting circuit that you've altered the bulb on, but they get EXTREMELY HOT, and personally I wouldn't install a resistor inside the car.

I changed the DLR's (day light running lights) on my RCZ to LED's and had to install resistors to stop the Canbus error from constantly reporting, but these resistors got so hot that they blistered the paint inside the engine bay where they were resting on the inner wing, so if one was to be fitted inside the car if someone added a glove compartment light, then I think they could be asking for serious trouble.

Not to mention warranty issues. 

If a glove compartment light is essential I would go through your dealer to be on the safe side.

Electrics on newer cars are worlds apart from older cars.

I'd be careful if anyone is considering adding a glove compartment light or even upgrading standard bulbs to LED's.

The majority of new cars now use a Canbus reading system where the cars brain constantly checks that the electrical system is using the EXACT voltage that it was intended to be from manufacture throughout the car, so if you add an extra light the Canbus may notice this and report an error.

The same could apply if you change your standard bulbs to brighter LED's, because LED's use less power the system again could think that a cars bulb has blown , so will again report a fault.

You can install resistors onto the lighting circuit that you've altered the bulb on, but they get EXTREMELY HOT, and personally I wouldn't install a resistor inside the car.

I changed the DLR's (day light running lights) on my RCZ to LED's and had to install resistors to stop the Canbus error from constantly reporting, but these resistors got so hot that they blistered the paint inside the engine bay where they were resting on the inner wing, so if one was to be fitted inside the car if someone added a glove compartment light, then I think they could be asking for serious trouble.

Not to mention warranty issues.

If a glove compartment light is essential I would go through your dealer to be on the safe side.

Electrics on newer cars are worlds apart from older cars.

Oh! Someone else going the RCZ -> Kadjar road!

My granddaughters can't fold themselves into the back of the Peugeot any more.

Sent from my Vi8 using Tapatalk

Actually Mike it's,

RCZ -> Kadjar-> Volvo V40 R-Design (awaiting delivery).

Sadly the Kadjar went back with a fault that is still causing the dealer problems.

As for the folding mirrors on the RCZ, they did have a problem with earlier models, in fact it was a re-call.

Basically the rubber inner seal needed replacing because it was holding water INSIDE the mirror housing causing the motors and gearing to sieve up.

I think I can recall this was 2010 up to late 2012 models ?

I can, hand on heart say the RCZ is one of the most reliable and stunning looking cars I have ever owned, in fact it WAS the most reliable and stunning look car I ever owned .

One of the reasons I've opted for the Volvo V40 is because it has many many features and similar looks of the RCZ,.

Looking back I should of kept it, but after owning it for over 4 years I just got a bit bored of it.

post-74-0-77030500-1448531341_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear about your issues with the Kadjar jactac - not an encouraging story, particularly for Renault Customer Service :(. Hopefully yours was a Friday afternoon car, and the faults aren't something that will happen with lots of vehicles? It does sound like they could have treated you better, but in my experience many car manufacturers are pretty leaden in their responses to such matters until it's too late. Surely in an exceptional case like yours  it would have been relatively easy for them to have supplied you with a replacement until your vehicle was sorted, or until a new one was available? Do you think you would have stayed with a Kadjar if Renault had reacted more sensibly?

Here's hoping we don't hear too many more tales like yours going forward; one of the reasons I went with a VW Golf and Mini Countryman prior to the Kadjar was in reaction to the awful ownership experience, dealer support and depreciation with 2 Alfa Romeo's before that!

Enjoy the Volvo when it arrives!

Hi Zardoz,

If I'm truthfully honest I think if a replacement had come along when the issues had first popped up I probably would of taken it, but simply as it would of been the easier option, however even before the faults occurred I was out with the wife for our first drive in the Kadjar and within half hour I had unconsciously started to pick up negative things with the car, the wife said right at that moment "you wont keep this long".

A couple of days later the car started playing up and this whole fiasco went down hill from there on.

So maybe the car developing a fault was in a way a good thing, as daft as that sounds.  

The Kadjar had big boots to fill after owning the RCZ GT, I know they are two totally different styles of car, and I expected them to look, feel and drive differently, but when you buy the top of the range car in any model you expect it to be the best in the range, and in all honesty the Kadjar Signature just didn't feel like the top of the range.

As it happens I have just heard from Renault UK, and they confirmed that the Financial Ombudsman ruled against them and they will now be issuing the remainder of my money that they held back for supplying a loan car whilst mine was in for repair.

If you think Alfa offered  poor customer relations, wait until you have to deal with Renault UK, they come across as all helpful & sympathetic on the phone but in reality you will need your wits about you, don't trust anything they say verbally, then again even some of the things confirmed in writing they tried to back down on.     :angry:

That is disappointing; I had a similar experience with Alfa UK years ago. After owning a 156 & 147 they totally destroyed my faith in the marque over a timing belt failure on the 147 that caused £1500 of damage to the engine at 30,000 miles, even though replacement wasn't due until 36,000 miles.

It seems almost all brands have a similar "head in the sand" approach to these kind of issues, which seems counter-productive as it turns potential cheer-leaders for their brand into their sternest critics! I've heard similar stories from people with lots of other brands; I suppose every marque has its Friday afternoon vehicles? In the end, it often seems that the car manufacturer would rather avoid the cost of settling a claim, or the extra expense involved in giving you better service, because it exceeds the likely profit they made from selling you the vehicle? Seems a very short sighted view in my opinion; I'm sure I'd still be a confirmed alfisti if they had treated me better, irrespective of the ruinous depreciation and mediocre standard of the dealers at the time!

Strangely enough my son hasn't long taken ownership of a brand new Alfa Giulietta clovaleaf, its a cracking car, in looks and drive.

He bought it from an Alfa dealer in Swindon and so far they have been very good, the only issue for him will be that there's no Alfa dealer here in Swansea, so it will be a trip to Cardiff for servicing ect.

Fingers crossed all will be ok with the car, but no experience can be as bad as what I've gone through with Renault. 

Maybe I was "simply unlucky" with the faults, but after speaking to Renault UK and my dealership its seems as though some other new owners have encountered the similar issues.

So perhaps then you could say I and others were unlucky in this Kadjar lottery, but I would argue that buying a car from new should not come down to luck.

However luck has nothing to do with how Renault have dealt with all of this......

6 WEEKS WITHOUT THE CAR AND EVEN THEN THEY COULD NOT SAY IF OR WHEN IT WOULD BE REPAIRED.

Its still at the dealership with most of its inside pulled out.

They even had the audacity to hold back £500 from my refund towards the hire car that THEY offered me, after their product failed, which after speaking to my solicitor and the Financial Ombudsman they (Renault), reluctantly realised they had to also pay this back.

Theres also another chap who's on his 3rd visit back to the dealer because his R-Link 2 keeps losing data. 

Its seems to me that buying a Kadjar and having bad luck do afterall run side by side. 

I've never had a Renault before, so will be interesting to see what the dealer/service experience is like! Mini and VW experience was good. Alfa was dire, although whether they have improved more recently I don't know.

I think they were trying to compete with prestige marques like BMW & Audi without the dealers or decent UK back up. Interestingly a Dutch friend said Alfa there were much better regarded & seen in much the same league as German prestige marques.

I reckon Alfa have their work cut out, and they still seem to depreciate faster than other brands; lovely to drive and look at, but total money pits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you were simply unlucky with the Renault. No new car should give those problems.

Considering the ongoing problems with the alarm and now looking at the increasing number of different problems being listed by other owners, bad luck didn't really have a play in it for jactac or anyone else.

I would suggest poor quality and even poor workmanship, rather bad luck.

You are correct cg9193.....errr maybe not:

I've seen those figures before and it does suggest that Renault are on the up ,from my 3 previous Scenics I would agree somewhat . But .....BIG BUT ...they probably not taking into account the Kadjar and if Renault don't attend to owners issues quickly, there will be a massive slide in next year's figures