• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

SATNAV Alternate Route Chaos
3 3

11 posts in this topic

Took delivery of the car yesterday, set up RLink, all working with no problem. Couple of updates but nothing for maps etc. Maps are dated 06/2015. Traffic is live.

Today the eldest daughter wanted me to drive her to work. Set the satnav even though I know the way just to test it. After 3 miles on the motorway we ran into the normal logjam. The satnav said there was a 30 minute tailback so advised to come off at the next junction. Not wanting her to be late, I followed the advice and once I had entered the junction tomtom told me that what had been 17 miles remaining was now 39. 

It then ran me in circles for about twenty minutes before I took my phone out with copilot and that had me back on track in less than 3 minutes.

Tonight on the way home it told me there was a traffic delay at a road junction ahead (this is normal, only takes 5-10 minutes to get through) and advised that I jump on the motorway 200 metres away, which was a 14 mile diversion but would eventually bring me out at the same road junction ahead that was only a mile and a half away. Of course I ignored it.

Questions is (sorry if I bored you but needed to let off steam) does anyone use the alternate route and is the system intuitive, in terms of learning, or does it operate on programmed alternates?

9 hours ago, Swiss said:

Forget the alternative routes, they are garbage. I had one in Italian dolomites where a 5 km jam made it think that a 200km detour was worthwhile.

Steaming pile of doodoo

Reminds me of several Sat Navs of various makes. Testing a new device one day I set the address for my in-laws - about 3 miles. The suggested route was around 25 miles and involved me driving past the end of the road they lived in three times and doing a complete circuit of our local airport. On long journeys, my wife still has a road atlas (or phone based gps) on her lap.

Always found "route change" very good on my standalone Tomtom. But this Rlink2 satnav is horrific. Asked me to change route on the M5 15 times between 2 junction. Now use Waze on my phone. Renaults answer was "thats how its designed". More people need to complain

23 hours ago, MikeB said:

Reminds me of several Sat Navs of various makes. Testing a new device one day I set the address for my in-laws - about 3 miles. The suggested route was around 25 miles and involved me driving past the end of the road they lived in three times and doing a complete circuit of our local airport. On long journeys, my wife still has a road atlas (or phone based gps) on her lap.

Rear of my car ALWAYS has a paper road atlas in and I always have a general plan of route before I set off so I know vaguely where I'm going. Sat nav never shows enough detail for me to be happy with it and I use only fie general guidance anyhow and override when I think it is wrong

19 hours ago, 1964 said:

Gave up on it months ago.The software and and out of date maps are too flawed to be relied upon.This is my solution....

sat nav.jpg

What's the mount? Never found one I liked enough aesthetically. Plus screen and navigation truly can destroy my battery at times, so a lead to the power would also be nice

32 minutes ago, Swiss said:

What's the mount? Never found one I liked enough aesthetically. Plus screen and navigation truly can destroy my battery at times, so a lead to the power would also be nice

its just one of those cheap universal mounts....works well as it can fold fairly flat, so keeps it as flush to the screen as possible.Great to take on trips for holiday rental cars too as it takes up hardly any room when all folded up.Navigation does eat up the juice for sure and i have to be plugged into the power socket with a charging cable for long journeys.Will be in the same boat though of having to use a lead if the fabled Carplay and android auto ever do materialise.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-IN-CAR-MOBILE-PHONE-WINDSHIELD-SUCTION-HOLDER-MOUNT-CRADLE-FOR-SAMSUNG-/232083311328?hash=item36093e4ae0:g:AIAAAOSw241YfMjN

For the phone power issue, if you charge from USB it is the equivalent to a trickle charge and you'll probably find the satnav app plus the screen are drawing more power than the usb is charging, so your phone will die quite quickly.

If you buy a 1.2amp cigarette lighter charger it charges the same as an in house mains charger. This is what I use and it never runs out! Plus under a tenner...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifetime-Warranty-RAVPower-Charging-Protection/dp/B00Q2GFP4M/ref=pd_sbs_107_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VXD03AGP7RKGDCFRY4TQ

For the phone power issue, if you charge from USB it is the equivalent to a trickle charge and you'll probably find the satnav app plus the screen are drawing more power than the usb is charging, so your phone will die quite quickly.
If you buy a 1.2amp cigarette lighter charger it charges the same as an in house mains charger. This is what I use and it never runs out! Plus under a tenner...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifetime-Warranty-RAVPower-Charging-Protection/dp/B00Q2GFP4M/ref=pd_sbs_107_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VXD03AGP7RKGDCFRY4TQ

Your quite right... I always use the power socket to charge.Just didn't pay that much for the adapter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk