Map Updates
8 8

107 posts in this topic

HI  You ask what is wrong with maps well most of the time like you they are fine BUT then i try to travel to a farm near Beadale  north yorkshire we are on AI nav says leave A1 now but we cannot because there is NO road just a crash barrier system then re routes takes us to next turn-off but again no roads just crash barrier so we then come off at next any way told to turn around  we ignore this  then new route and we arrive at destination but about 45mins late and this is because A1 was changed lots of cash spent and junctions moved  2 years ago . Also have problems with average speed cameras and warnings on M1 and A1 200 mile trip yesterday and had to listen to REDUCE SPEED warning for 30 maybe 35 miles of it every 10 seconds  when we were in fact under the speed limit NOT HAPPY WITH THIS AT ALL.

Love the car but nav is a problem and now renault want lots of cash to update to old maps and by the way tom tom want to charge me £16.99 for tom tom traffic live for a year  for  stand alone nav i have  and not £75.00 from renault for same info  sorry but not happy.

J.C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tsam

Run the engine, press MENU, press NAVIGATION, press the 3 lines symbol at bottom right of screen, press VERSION and you will see the software that is loaded for maps. Individual software for various elements of the system can be found if necessary by clicking on DETAILS.

 

turboted10

If it is ok for you then I would be interested how you save the NAMES and ADDRESSES of your destinations. I cannot find any way to save the names so for me the system is useless. If I have 5 addresses saved for a town how do I find out which one applies to whom? Never had a navigation system over the last 20 years that could not save the names to make use of the system customer friendly. Equally never had a mobile phone that could not save names for number retrieval. Same rules should apply for both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, J C said:

HI  You ask what is wrong with maps well most of the time like you they are fine BUT then i try to travel to a farm near Beadale  north yorkshire we are on AI nav says leave A1 now but we cannot because there is NO road just a crash barrier system then re routes takes us to next turn-off but again no roads just crash barrier so we then come off at next any way told to turn around  we ignore this  then new route and we arrive at destination but about 45mins late and this is because A1 was changed lots of cash spent and junctions moved  2 years ago . Also have problems with average speed cameras and warnings on M1 and A1 200 mile trip yesterday and had to listen to REDUCE SPEED warning for 30 maybe 35 miles of it every 10 seconds  when we were in fact under the speed limit NOT HAPPY WITH THIS AT ALL.

Love the car but nav is a problem and now renault want lots of cash to update to old maps and by the way tom tom want to charge me £16.99 for tom tom traffic live for a year  for  stand alone nav i have  and not £75.00 from renault for same info  sorry but not happy.

J.C.

Ok, completely with you on this. After i posted I reakised that the speed camera alerts were satnav/satellite related.

Yes speed cam positions are totally out of date. Like you i enter a zone just short of MI junc 29 nothbound and the average alerts start and will not stop, not been av cams there for 2 years.

Arrived in Filey some time ago and thet were still banging on.

I hasve warnings telling me I am in an accident alert area, when I still parked up, I agree.

 

Just didn't realise that this was all tied up with the Maps thing, just assumed they didn't include eastern europe or similar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pentris said:

Tsam

Run the engine, press MENU, press NAVIGATION, press the 3 lines symbol at bottom right of screen, press VERSION and you will see the software that is loaded for maps. Individual software for various elements of the system can be found if necessary by clicking on DETAILS.

 

turboted10

If it is ok for you then I would be interested how you save the NAMES and ADDRESSES of your destinations. I cannot find any way to save the names so for me the system is useless. If I have 5 addresses saved for a town how do I find out which one applies to whom? Never had a navigation system over the last 20 years that could not save the names to make use of the system customer friendly. Equally never had a mobile phone that could not save names for number retrieval. Same rules should apply for both.

Do you mean in your address book?  I have several places stored in my address book with names against them rather than just locations.  Is that what you mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been told by CS that there is a map update. I have downloaded it onto USB and my RLink recognises it but says I have to leave Rlink on for at least 35 mins. Probably best to do this when on a run I reckon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have been told by CS that there is a map update. I have downloaded it onto USB and my RLink recognises it but says I have to leave Rlink on for at least 35 mins. Probably best to do this when on a run I reckon

Can't see any updates due on mine... what date is on this update for maps?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Under R Link Store in the Manage tab mine show the updates that have been updated and all are already ticked. These are R Link 2 update and maps 2015.  Maps for 2016 were there but have been withdrawn due to bugs which prevented correct updating. In the Updates tab there is nothing listed so nothing is waiting to be updated.
Anything that has already been downloaded cannot be downloaded again according to Renault Support.
If nothing ticked in R Link Store then nothing can be installed so will not show in R Link2 Toolbox.

It must be possible to completely wipe the maps off the R-link and start again... my dealer certainly managed to do it doing the last R-link update and I had to reinstall the whole of Europe map which then incorporated the June 2015 update as part of the whole package.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cookster

I would love to know how you add a 'name' to your addresses.  I have only found country, town, street and house number fields to enter. Even the user manual only mentions addresses and not names. My address lists only addresses in alphabetical order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Wife'sKdj said:

Ditto.

If I go into manage in updates it presents me with this 

  •   Map of Europe (3,824.6 Mo)

So I have loaded it onto my USB and the car recognizes it. Not sure what version it is until I download it onto R-Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1964

My car is going to a dealer to have the R Link reset to true factory default removing my map and  R Link upgrades. They are then going to install updates that are available, hopefully bug free. Apparently only a dealer can reset the system as users are not given the right access to the system. Although we update software the system flashes this into firmware which is why customers cannot reverse the updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1964

My car is going to a dealer to have the R Link reset to true factory default removing my map and  R Link upgrades. They are then going to install updates that are available, hopefully bug free. Apparently only a dealer can reset the system as users are not given the right access to the system. Although we update software the system flashes this into firmware which is why customers cannot reverse the updates.

Right I see..at least you are getting some progress and able to update your maps .. well at least to June 2015. Hopefully a clean install will get rid of some of your issues but not all unfortunately as the original software has still not been debugged.Hope it goes well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tripleh said:

If I go into manage in updates it presents me with this 

  •   Map of Europe (3,824.6 Mo)

If I go to updates I have nothing to download. My maps are 2015.06. Must be latest available unless yours are newer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HI  You ask what is wrong with maps well most of the time like you they are fine BUT then i try to travel to a farm near Beadale  north yorkshire we are on AI nav says leave A1 now but we cannot because there is NO road just a crash barrier system then re routes takes us to next turn-off but again no roads just crash barrier so we then come off at next any way told to turn around  we ignore this  then new route and we arrive at destination but about 45mins late and this is because A1 was changed lots of cash spent and junctions moved  2 years ago . Also have problems with average speed cameras and warnings on M1 and A1 200 mile trip yesterday and had to listen to REDUCE SPEED warning for 30 maybe 35 miles of it every 10 seconds  when we were in fact under the speed limit NOT HAPPY WITH THIS AT ALL.
Love the car but nav is a problem and now renault want lots of cash to update to old maps and by the way tom tom want to charge me £16.99 for tom tom traffic live for a year  for  stand alone nav i have  and not £75.00 from renault for same info  sorry but not happy.
J.C.

Interesting, I have a garmin in my van with free map updates, and it still tells me to do a U turn to get back on the A1, even though I am on the A1



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok, completely with you on this. After i posted I reakised that the speed camera alerts were satnav/satellite related.
Yes speed cam positions are totally out of date. Like you i enter a zone just short of MI junc 29 nothbound and the average alerts start and will not stop, not been av cams there for 2 years.
Arrived in Filey some time ago and thet were still banging on.
I hasve warnings telling me I am in an accident alert area, when I still parked up, I agree.
 
Just didn't realise that this was all tied up with the Maps thing, just assumed they didn't include eastern europe or similar. 

Again my Garmin is upto date with free maps, I get fixed speed camera warnings when they are average, I also get the speed warnings on the M1 so I don't think it's an isolated thing to Renault


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go all over the country the Garmin is usually pretty good. I do occasionally use google maps on my iPhone, just to pin point the odd business.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While waiting hopelessly for Android Auto for the R-Link 2, which looks like it will not be available for the existing R-Link 2, I had dug out my Xiaomi Mi Pad (no GPS), upgraded it to LineageOS 14.1 ROM (not from Xiaomi), bought an used Garmin GLO Portable GPS and GLONASS Receiver (Bluetooth), paired it and installed a Bluetooth GPS app (remember to set Mock Location app in Settings, Developer Options, to this app) so that the NMEA GPS coordinates will pass over to the Mi Pad and I have started using Google Map and Android Auto (apk) in my Kadjar.

Android Auto on R-Link 2 or not, it doesn't matter anymore.

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk


Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2017 at 4:42 PM, Pentris said:

The cookster

I would love to know how you add a 'name' to your addresses.  I have only found country, town, street and house number fields to enter. Even the user manual only mentions addresses and not names. My address lists only addresses in alphabetical order.

Are you still having problems?  if so - I'll go and do it on mine and remind myself how I did it, that way I can talk you through the steps - at least that way you'll know whether there's a problem with yours or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just installed Waze again as it is much improved, has all the features required for free and also alerts my family to potential delays if I get in a jam.

Now, let me consider whether it is worth £75 for Renaults updates !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I just installed Waze again as it is much improved, has all the features required for free and also alerts my family to potential delays if I get in a jam.
Now, let me consider whether it is worth £75 for Renaults updates !!

Thanks for the heads up ... will give it a second look now... having my phone stuck to the r-link screen isn't ideal


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

8 8