• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Engine Oil Level Rises + Smell of Petrol
3 3

46 posts in this topic

Hi Kadjar Fans,

My wife's Kadjar (1.2 Energy Tce) has 2 issues: extremely high consumption (12 l/100km = around 23 MPG - imperial) and the oil level is above the max mark by 1 inch.The dipstick/oil has a strong smell of petrol. The reason: only city-traffic since months, I guess.

Tomorrow's plan: highway run for warming up fully the engine oil to evaporate the volatile petrol from the oil.

Any comment/advice to be appreciated!

Thx for the hint - however no check-engine lamp or malfunction message got. Fully agreed - too thin oil (diluted by petrol) will cause excess wear. 

No top-up in the past: only 5 months old and 3000 miles in it. But 95% city traffic within 3 miles.

Well, today we had a chance to travel on highway 60 miles by around 85-90 MPH. The oil is fully warmed up, but its kevel is still high (1 inch above the max mark on the dipstick) and very well smelt petrol in the oil.

Thinking on draining it and fill by fresh one.

15 hours ago, zoli said:

Well, today we had a chance to travel on highway 60 miles by around 85-90 MPH. The oil is fully warmed up, but its kevel is still high (1 inch above the max mark on the dipstick) and very well smelt petrol in the oil.

Thinking on draining it and fill by fresh one.

Why on earth would you go to the expense and hassle of draining and refilling the oil yourself when you could go to your dealer to get it looked at FOC under warranty, if you start buggering about with it yourself you would almost definately invalidate any potential warranty claim.

Yes - you have right! :-)

The issue has been reported to the dealership this morning and I got a phone call from the shop manager - probably reason: the injector software must be updated/fine-tuned. I will visit them next week + android 6.0.1 and bluetooth incompatbility will be fixed as well.

the dealer just reported my e-mail: the oil level on the dipsstick increased up to 1 inch above the max mark + the oil has smell of petrol

another issue: the engine warms up so slowly - after 5 km drive even 1 bar no visible in the cooling temp gauge

Dealer called me today: Renault HQ instructed them to update the injector software (the coolant temp must be below 50°C) and for oil replacement. Even I was noticed: don't warm the engine - just fire it up and go!

Tapatalkkal küldve az én GT-P5110 eszközömről

This morning I left the car at the dealership. They called me: updated the injector and bluetotth softwares, oil change is unnecessary based on step-by-step service instruction from Renault HQ.

I will report you in the evening my findings.

Thx for the feedback!

I got back my wife's car from the Renault dealership: the engine oil not necessary to be changed - it was confirmed by dealership again. Reason: the volatile gasoline will be evaporated from the oil at operating temperature.

I know it sounds a little bit strange - I will change the oil by myself; much cheaper process, like to pay for the dealer 's triple price.

Additional 1 strict rule was given by Renault: absolutely no - means: NEVER - heat up the car after ignition at any cold morning, just get started at moderate speed and rpm (between 2000-3000).
All my cars in the past heated up by idling for 1-5 mins before driving.
Am I wrong?

1 hour ago, zoli said:

Additional 1 strict rule was given by Renault: absolutely no - means: NEVER - heat up the car after ignition at any cold morning, just get started at moderate speed and rpm (between 2000-3000).
All my cars in the past heated up by idling for 1-5 mins before driving.
Am I wrong?

As long as your windows are not iced or misted up , I think Renault are correct 

Hi Piotr,

Thx for sharing the UOA report!

We had here some newer/older DI w/ and w/o turbo engined cars. Too much short trips causes extremely high petrol consumption and oil dilution - even worse at Winter time.

My understanding: Renault knows this effect, that's why requires 5W40 graded oil with 13.6 cP viscosity at 100°C => fuel dilution will decrease it. This Elf Evolution 900 SXR 5W40 so Robust oil I would not recommend in START/STOP turbo engine; but the fuel dilution at cold mornings reduce its cold viscosity (82 cP) to pump it very well.

Take a look here on cosumtpion of petrol Kadjars - lot of them are above the factory avg:

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/41-Renault/1478-Kadjar.html?fueltype=2&vehicletype=1&constyear_s=2014&constyear_e=2018&power_s=91&power_e=101&gearing=1&sort=1

My wife's typical daily run is 6-7 miles commuting (back and forth).