• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Alarm
3 3

48 posts in this topic

Could someone possibly try something out for me.

Could you lock up the car, wait a few minutes then unlock the boot by only lifting the boot latch, DON'T PRESS ANY BUTTONS ON RENAULT CARD.

When I do this I get 4 instant beeps from the alarm, so I want to see if this is normal.

It only happens with the boot ?

Thanks

Could someone possibly try something out for me.

Could you lock up the car, wait a few minutes then unlock the boot by only lifting the boot latch, DON'T PRESS ANY BUTTONS ON RENAULT CARD.

When I do this I get 4 instant beeps from the alarm, so I want to see if this is normal.

It only happens with the boot ?

Thanks

Mine does not make a sound just unlocks the boot.. Maybe a difference between the UK model and Danish

Actually I rarely use the key and it happens when I open the drivers door  ( tight Welsh git trying to save the battery  :D ) . I think it only does it if you doublelock the car 

You get the 4 beeps when you open the drivers door ?

Ummm, Roger that's the indication that the alarm has actually sounded.

This is how I found out that my alarm had been sounding for no apparent reason.

The alarm manual is very difficult to workout but there is a paragraph that states  something like, " should the alarm give 4 beeps on unlocking the car then this is to warn that the alarm has been fully activated".

Try tapping the windows to get it to go off then unlock the car you will hear the 4 warning beeps.

Ok so I've done some playing around with the alarm, much to the annoyance of my neighbours on a Sunday afternoon.  (especially #9. We'll just call it payback for letting your scabby cat s**t my garden  :angry: ).

So anyway, the 4 beeps that are heard when you unlock the car are definitely to warn that the alarm has been activated whilst you were away.

You should not hear ANY beeps when unlocking the car under normal conditions.

However you will  hear the same 4 beeps if you unlock the boot without using the card. I think this is because the internal sensors notice the boot opening but realise its not an attempt at breaking in, so does not go into full alarm mode but just gives these 4 beeps.

If you unlock the boot using the card you do not hear the 4 beeps.

If you "double lock" (deadlock), you still wont hear the 4 beeps when unlocking (unless the alarm was activated whilst you was away). 

You can turn off the volumetric sensors by holding down the lock button on the card, you will hear 3 beeps when you do this.

This feature is handy if you want to leave a window slightly open if you are leaving pets in car when you lock it up, or if something like a heavy storm or traffic is setting the alarm off. (It was this feature that was set too sensitive on my faulty alarm, you cannot alter the sensitivity only turn it off, hence new alarm unit fitted.)

You can also turn off the "tilt" feature, but according to the manual ( :lol: ), to do this you must turn the ignition on and off 3 times, then lock the car within 50 seconds.

Once again total nonsense from the manual. :angry:  

All you need to do is lock the car and hold down the lock button until you hear the 3 beeps.

Basically by holding down the lock button on the card you are not just deactivating the volumetric but also the tilt feature, yet still protecting the car with the imoboliser and voltage sensor (when internal light comes via opening any door or boot).

Hope this might help a little into understanding the alarm. 

Oh dear! I think u need to find out which dealer jactacs car is from and get your dealer to liaise with them as they probably have a bit more insite into this problem than anyone else.. Having said that a TVR meet at my local park set off several car alarms when one or two cars starred up.. Also as u say high winds can set off alarms.. But I would advise your dealer this has been a problem and contact Renault UK at a very early stage ! Better still contact Jactac direct as he can advise better than Renault!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve mate I really hope your not going to go down the same road I had to, its not pleasant.

When mine first started it just seemed like the obvious things, other car doors slamming or like you say the wind, which I was not concerned about because ALL car alarms are a bit touchy with things like that, but over few weeks I noticed that it would false alarm simply for nothing at all, that's when I decided to take it into the dealers.

I tried turning off the internal sensors but it didnt solve the problem, I even tested to make sure they were off by sitting in the car for half hour and waving my arms around like a lunatic, yet I would lock the car up, with them off and within a short period of time the alarm would sound.

The dealer technician mentioned there was a number of things that could be causing the problem.

1. The internal sensors are too sensitive and picking up very small changes in air movement and could even be re-arming themselves AFTER being turned off when the car is locked  ?

2. The control box that works the shock sensor is too sensitive (its under the dash on the driver side somewhere), this would account for external wind or bangs setting off the alarm. This was changed on my car but did not remedy the fault. Apparently it's a common fault on the QQ, that uses a very similar set up, and same manufacture to the Kadjar. We thought this was the most probable cause to the problem, but it never turned out that way ! 

3. The voltage sensor on the alarm could be picking up small changes in voltage after the car is locked and then alarming. Apparently the car's system can sometimes go "live" to download data, but he thought this was least likely to be the problem, but strangely just before I handed the car back I did once get an on screen message that warned of "low battery", so I mentioned this and it seemed to ruffle a few feathers ?

On the day I finally gave it back, I parked up, got out, locked it, and started to walk away when  it started alarming, no rain or wind, nothing else close by, just this Kadjar going off on one,  I didn't even turn round and just kept walking !

That was the first time it had alarmed almost immediately after locking it, usually it was an hour or so after locking. 

So anyway, the last I was aware was that the car is still with the dealers, in fact about just over a month ago I popped into the dealers and saw that the car was outside with all the internal door cards off and bits of the lower dash had been dropped down ?   

I hope you get it sorted mate and dont go through what I went through, maybe a fix has been found by now ?

My local dealer was Renault Swansea.

They actually had an engineer booked to come over from the alarm manufacture in Romania, but stopped him a day before his arrival because they "thought" they had solved the problem by changing the shock sensor module under the dash, looks like they should of let him get on the plane !

The technician at my dealers made a fair point one day, maybe the alarm was working exactly as it should and the fault was something within the actual car, like electrical setting the alarm off.

He was starting to think that maybe they were all assuming the alarm was the problem, when in fact it could be something entirely seperate but setting off the alarm ? 

Thanks mate. I'll give it another couple of days to see how it goes. but if it sets off for no reason again I'll be popping in to the dealers Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of confidence in. I have been waiting 3 weeks for them to call me back on a service plan for it. they told me at the time they couldn't put anything on their system to set one up as the car is so new, the details aren't on there yet.

Oh man I had EXACTLY the same thing said when my dealer wanted to try a few things out and do some tests, "the cars too new so they cant raise a case on the system".

It was like the dealers hands were always tied ! 

U may be onto something there steve.. If it's doing auto updates whenever maybe it's that .. Is there any way of switching auto updates off for a few days and see if that makes a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been wondering if it's something to do with a volt drop of some kind, Even thought the R-link system not shutting down correctly.

I asked this very question right from the start of my problems, at first it was almost dismissed without even considering it, but as time went on and speaking to different technicians that got involved, one or two said it was a possibility ? 

The problem here is that intermittent faults, especially electrical or electronic are a nightmare to trace and solved. 

They even put my car on some sort of tilting table because my drive has a slight slope to try and get the alarm to sound, but after explaining that it had started to go off parked up on normal flat roads and car parks they dropped this idea.

Steve try giving the drivers window a sharp knock, see if it activates the alarm.

Mine would go off almost straight away, hence changing the shock sensor under the dash, like I say we thought we had solved the problem but a few days later it just started all over again, but maybe my Kadjar had another issue alongside the shock sensor ?

The alarm manufacture, almost immediately advises Renault to change this sensor if there are alarm problems, it seems to be a known issue with them, but its not always the reason for the problem, and after that fails to solve the problem everyone seem's to be stuck for answers.   

I finally came to the conclusion after going around in complete circles that Renault found it easier to blame it on the actual alarm as they can then shift the responsibility to the alarm manufacture, but in reality it's something within the cars own system that the alarm picks up as an intrusion and so activates the alarm. 

This was just my own personal opinion, that I was basing on what was happening at the time and the technician seeming to think that maybe there was more to this than just a faulty alarm !

We ( myself & technician) went through the same process of trying to lock the car using different techniques, ie, card or door button, like you I started thinking of all permutations, but nothing seemed to solve my problem, it would alarm no matter how the doors were locked.

I never tried switching off data sharing though ?

Another strange thing that you can try is, lock the car then wait say 10 mins then walk up to the car and open the rear boot with the button NOT the card, mine would give 3 short beeps, yet the ones down at my dealers did nothing, they stayed silent !

Again the technician could not explain this, neither could the alarm manufacturer ?  

Steve mate hopefully not, but  it sounds like you've got all the traits that mine had or started off with.

I would suggest taking it to your dealer and ask them to speak to Swansea, maybe by now theres a Renault fix or perhaps Swansea found out what was playing up on mine, if its not a widespread problem. 

I don't know if it helps but I also get the beeps when unlocking via the rear boot button , but I've had no issues with the alarm . As far as the R Link goes ,it powers down completely when you lock the car and the only power applied is to the alarm and locking system, I think . Better info from Renault would help there . The low power is a distinct possibility from my experience in modern electronic systems i.e. if  the power applied to the CPU is only a fraction off it can and will cause havoc  . I had a problem with a Scenic once and I thought the management system was having a breakdown , all sorts of wild and wonderful " faults " appearing on the display . It turned out to be a bad battery only charging to 70% of it's potential even though it never went flat or gave me starting issues . New battery ..."faults gone .

As Kerry says though chasing up intermittent electric faults can be a nightmare . Have the dealers to get out the diagnostic laptop and check it out . Best of luck

Its just like reading the same book over and over,  :rolleyes:

I'm sure "someone" made a similar comment about me.  ;)

But anyway,

I found that once this problem started it seemed to happen more frequently, building up to every few hours some days, even almost going off instantly on the day I handed the car back.

I can remember suggesting disconnecting the alarm to my dealer, but even though they said it was " probably" possible, they were very reluctant to do it, because firstly it would of meant adjusting software and perhaps actual wiring, which could invalidate the warranty, so Renault UK would need to be informed and give the ok to go ahead, which was very very unlikely. 

Secondly, and this was a major concern with the dealership, the Kadjar like the majority of new cars is shown as having a Thatchem approved alarm as standard, so your insurance could be voided if you remove or alter the alarm, but more importantly the dealer was concerned that if a claim was ever made for theft it could some how come back to the dealership as it was them who removed a factory fitted security feature.

I know its all "ifs & buts", but I sat down with the area service manager, technician and  sales director for over an hour trying to persuade them to disconnect the alarm, even for a short period until they found a remedy, but they just did not want to know, hence them loaning me car and taking mine off the road for over 6 weeks. 

Another thing that you may need to be careful with is if you find the "sounder" and just remove the wiring yourself you wont know if the alarm has been activated, if its on or off, or even if the cars immobolised due to  a genuine alarm being activated .

If the cars system checks voltage output or voltage leakage, then you might start seeing errors because you've disconnected part of the cars electronics ?

You should really have it checked out with your dealer because there could very well be more info and possibly a fix now within Renault.

My dealer told me at the time that there was a number of Kadjars involved, so therefor Renault had to do something about it, and that was very very early into the cars launch.

This forum, although growing represents a tiny amount of Kadjar owners, so just because your only the 2nd owner to experience this on here does not mean that this not a far more widespread issue.

Like I said when I first brought this up months ago, Renault know there is a problem but are not going to do recalls at such an early stage after the cars launch, its just not good publicity, so they will deal with it on a one to one basis at the moment, and hope it stays that way.   

I know how your feeling, its one of those faults that plays on your mind, especially at night when your just waiting for it to start sounding at 2am in the morning, then 2.30am, 3.00am and finally at 4am when you just decide to leave the car unlocked.

Oh yes been there, on a few occasions............. :angry:

Having security call you from your place of work 3 or 4 times throughout the day because they think your cars been broken into whilst in the staff car park, isn't much fun either  :(

Or having your neighbours pass snide comments about a brand new car that keeps the whole street awake at night can be a bit embarrassing :wacko:  

As you know enough was enough, no light at the end of Renault's very very long tunnel, and it was time to part with the car.