R Link 2 set up
9 9

91 posts in this topic

Regarding the browser , I said earlier that I was using Opera .  Opera has updated and doesn't support the Java Plugin . So it's back to Firefox . Seems like most browsers aren't supporting Java now . So it begs the question How do we update our R Links .

Put my usb stick into computer and run the download manager...and there it sits as it doesn't seem to recognise any of my usb sticks. the one I tried is a 32g so think it's big enough. Grrr

What internet browser are you using , it must support Java  . There are very few that do . I'm using Firefox at the moment and you have to tell it to run the Java applet . Chrome , Microsoft Edge and the latest version of Opera won't work . I believe Safari does but haven't tried it .

Could e mail support for an answer  r-link.helplineuk@renault.com , but I warn you it's like pulling teeth

You can't download  " download manager "  ? . Is your browser blocking it perhaps ? I don't quite understand what you're getting at . You're previous post said download manager wasn't recognising your stick , so I assumed you had downloaded download manager

Yeah I probably confused the issue somewhat..

I have 'download manager' show up, so no issue there with browser I am using IE11 When I put the USB stick in to the computer it wont show up on the dropdown box(Top right corner)

Was wondering if there is an issue with Renault system website etc

Download manager shows up every time I access R Link store , which is at least every other day . IE11 does support Java,  but what I found with Windows 10 is that every time I opened IE11 it opened Edge instead which doesn't support Java. Download Firefox and try R Link Store in Firefox it should work OK :)

Hi All

I'm a new member having had my Dynamique S nav just over 3 weeks. Generally really pleased with it apart from getting r-link to work. 

I'm accessing the r-link store from a Mac running safari 9.0.2 and have downloaded the latest version of java. After a bit of messing around I have managed to get through to inputting the serial number from the cars r-link system (thanks to the help on here about dropping the 1st three letters). But what I cannot do is get the software to recognise my usb stick. When I run the download manager I have to manually type in the usb address (which in my case is /volumes/untitled/r-link) then select start. It goes through the process of downloading each file but for each says error in the file writing.

The usb stick has been formatted and plugged into the car and files have been put onto it from the car, which suggests that it is working.

I have been in email communication with r-link support but have not got anywhere.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi pebbledasher welcome to the forum. I don't know much about mac's I assume you have put the USB drive into the R-Link in the car first, it will load info onto drive, I would also rename the USB stick so that when you run the download manager you can navigate to it then sync it. The whole business is very convoluted sometimes it takes me a few attempts to connect.  

I can't offer you much help other than to confirm I had the same issues with Mac OS. Safari would run the Java applet but seeing the USB stick was the issue. I switched to using a PC with IE on WIndows 7. I use the Mac to keep an eye on R-Link but switch to the PC to download files :( 

Hi All

I'm a new member having had my Dynamique S nav just over 3 weeks. Generally really pleased with it apart from getting r-link to work. 

I'm accessing the r-link store from a Mac running safari 9.0.2 and have downloaded the latest version of java. After a bit of messing around I have managed to get through to inputting the serial number from the cars r-link system (thanks to the help on here about dropping the 1st three letters). But what I cannot do is get the software to recognise my usb stick. When I run the download manager I have to manually type in the usb address (which in my case is /volumes/untitled/r-link) then select start. It goes through the process of downloading each file but for each says error in the file writing.

The usb stick has been formatted and plugged into the car and files have been put onto it from the car, which suggests that it is working.

I have been in email communication with r-link support but have not got anywhere.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

It doesn't really matter if you rename the stick, but I name mine the reg number of the car, as Alan says makes it easier to locate . The stick should be 8GB or more formatted to FAT32 .

I'm not using a Mac and it works OK on Windows

Hi

Thanks for the replies. Just to confirm I had already tried the suggestions but no luck. Just gone through the process again, formatted the USB stick to fat32 (named it kadjar, it is 16gb) and plugged into the car.

Two directories are added to it LOST.DIR and R-LINK which has the file c4a2531450338791213.wls in it. I then go through the download manager on the pc but keep getting the file writing error.

If anyone has any other suggestions then please let me know.

Thanks

Those two files are correct they are loaded from the car. The Mac can read them so there is no problem there, it's just that the download manager isn't reading them. Check you Java security setting, you might need to lower the security or trust the a software in some way.

I tried loading up the R-Link Download Manager last night but it looks like Java runs in some form of sandbox by default on a Mac thereby isolating it from the file system. I suspect there's a configuration option needing to be changed in the Java Control Panel but I haven't found it yet.

I even set the R-Link store website to be a safe site and it made only enough difference to run the applet but still not resolve the file system issue.

I did manage to get it working by running Windows in a virtual machine on my Mac which is a lousy way around the issue.

All the effort for around 500KB of seemingly pointless updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kadjar is still a dream drive no issues there setting up the R Link 2 , however, was a frustrating affair . I hope the following helps others when their long waits are over , because there's sweet FA help on the R Link site :-

Initially I connected to the R Link store from the vehicle and the display told me it would take 72 hours to register R Link . In fact , I received a message that it had registered ( on My R Link ) within 24 hours: no problem there :)

The next step was to register my car at My Renault online . This was done and it gave me a link to the R Link store and here's where the fun started . You have to create an account on the R Link store the usual stuff name address e mail and password and the VIN Number of the car , the next page asks you for the serial number of the R Link . This can be found on the R Link system > second page > system information and HUID is the serial number . I duly copied this into the web page and it was rejected . There is a second method described which involves inserting a USB key in the car leave it for a few minutes , remove it and then inserting it in your PC and R Link Download manager should read the serial number and enter it for you . This doesn't work . The problem is R Link Download Manager doesn't show on the web page anywhere so it doesn't read your serial number , the reason being, Download Manager only appears when you've actually created the account , but because you can't enter the serial number you can't create an account ....WTF !!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway , the solution is this you find your HUID ( serial ) number on the R Link but you OMIT the first three letters ,in my case CAP , the serial number is recognized at which point you wait for a validation e mail from Renault and you are .

You may have further issues once you've got access to download manager . It will ask you for a location to download your updates to ,if any but the program will not see your USB key . I my case this was because I use Windows !0 and use either the Edge or Chrome Browsers neither of which support Java plug ins . You will need to use an earlier version of Internet Explorer ( 11 is fine) ,FireFox,Safari basically anything that supports Java

After all this there weren't any updates anyway :D

ulfire

The serial number for the r-link system.. Sorry but where is that located? You take about system information but I can't find this on my rlink in the car..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, I posted on another thread. .. But now have found this.

Wish my car was sat next to my computer!

Tomorrow I will be following advice on here , wish me luck.

Interesting as to why Java wasn't available , due to chrome.