• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

TomTom Traffic Subscription Renewal
3 3

41 posts in this topic

I've had three messages popping up on my R Link this last week :- 

1. Tom Tom Traffic subscription due in 15 days

2.Discovery Services subscription due in 15 days

3. Digital Services subscription due in 15 days

No surprise there ,the car's almost coming to it's first birthday . It's just three messages I found confusing . Would I have to pay three separate subscriptions . The R Link store is no help as it describes the TomTom Traffic as :-

" The TomTom TRAFFIC and Connectivity Pack is the complete solution to improving your journeys. You get precise information about traffic jams and can download many different applications from the R-Link Store."

no mention of Discovery Services and Digital Services .

Anyway got in touch with Support and they confirmed that discovery and Digital Services are included in TomTom Traffic so only one subscription needs to be paid 

Whilst chatting with them they asked how my Kadjar was as they had last time . Once again I replaid the Kadjar is excellent the R LInk isn't . Once again they avoided broaching the subject of R Link .

The also asked if the dealer had made me aware of the 4 year RAC Roadside Recovery ....I found that a little unsettling ;)

5 minutes ago, ulfire said:

Still thinking about it , after all I don't use Live Traffic or SatNav that often . I may run it for a while without updating  and see what , if any , differences it makes :)

I'll be interested in the outcome of this. Did you get the 2 map updates?

The live traffic is useful, the rerouting due to traffic not so (well appalling is how I'd describe)

11 minutes ago, Swiss said:

I'll be interested in the outcome of this. Did you get the 2 map updates?

The live traffic is useful, the rerouting due to traffic not so (well appalling is how I'd describe)

Not sure if I've had two map updates . Sounds silly I know  but I had one about January , after dealing with support , which as far as I could tell was older than the maps that came with the car . Then I had the June 2015 update . So I would probably say I've had one in reality , but still woefully out of date .

The live traffic keeps informing me of jams that aren't there and last week told me there was a jam ahead ( 0 yards ) that I was already in :o . It offered to reroute and took me along the route I was already travelling ???? . I tend to find it and he SatNAv useless from my experiences . As far as SatNav goes , I wish I'd stayed with my Scenic but ,as I said earlier , I don't use the SatNav as much as I used to 

P.S. maybe resulting from my complaints about the maps , I still have two years left to run on my map update service so I can't complain too much about that other than they will probably always be out of date 

41 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Not a hope in hell of me renewing.. their present performance on anything to do with r-stink has put paid to any confidence in the product or their ability to maintain it... perhaps they might wake up if that revenue stream takes a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Renault R Link are aware that R Link is not the jewel of technology that they describe . The clue could be that ,during my last two chats with them , they have responded to my positive  comments on the vehicle but totally sidestepped my negative comments regarding the R Link . Not a " what's the problem ? " or " we'll refer you to the R Link team " . Totally accepted my comment ,that says a lot to me .

Other owners take the attitude it's a " new car and it will be sorted soon  " . I'm sorry ,that doesn't hold water in my opinion . The Kadjar has been on sale in Europe since June 2015 and the UK since September 2015 , ample time to sort any issues , once again in my opinion  . It seems they neither have the will or ability , once again in my opinion ( based on far more dealings with them than I should have had in one year )

Not sure if I've had two map updates . Sounds silly I know  but I had one about January , after dealing with support , which as far as I could tell was older than the maps that came with the car . Then I had the June 2015 update . So I would probably say I've had one in reality , but still woefully out of date .
The live traffic keeps informing me of jams that aren't there and last week told me there was a jam ahead ( 0 yards ) that I was already in  . It offered to reroute and took me along the route I was already travelling ???? . I tend to find it and he SatNAv useless from my experiences . As far as SatNav goes , I wish I'd stayed with my Scenic but ,as I said earlier , I don't use the SatNav as much as I used to 
P.S. maybe resulting from my complaints about the maps , I still have two years left to run on my map update service so I can't complain too much about that other than they will probably always be out of date 

How did you get your live traffic to work? Mine shows nothing in Malta even though the setting is turned on

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Update on Live Traffic Information renewal.

I didn't renew subscription two weeks ago just to see what difference it made . It would seem none at all . I have used Navigation three times in that period and , on two occasions  , it informed that there was hold up ahead and would I like to take an alternative route . Both of those occasions the hold up was actually there . So it would seem Live Traffic info is still operational , unless it's supposed to do more . If the second case applies , it has never worked properly  . All rather confusing really . Unless Renault are asking us for £50 a year for nothing ...I'll let you decide that for yourselves before the howls of protest arise from the Renault worshippers . 

This post is purely informational based on my experience :)

3 minutes ago, ulfire said:

Update on Live Traffic Information renewal.

I didn't renew subscription two weeks ago just to see what difference it made . It would seem none at all . I have used Navigation three times in that period and , on two occasions  , it informed that there was hold up ahead and would I like to take an alternative route . Both of those occasions the hold up was actually there . So it would seem Live Traffic info is still operational , unless it's supposed to do more . If the second case applies , it has never worked properly  . All rather confusing really . Unless Renault are asking us for £50 a year for nothing ...I'll let you decide that for yourselves before the howls of protest arise from the Renault worshippers . 

This post is purely informational based on my experience :)

Then I think I'll join you and simply let it lapse and in a few years simply buy an updated 2 year old map if it is required.

Most times I get notifications of traffic jams I arrive only to find nothing at all, yet where there is traffic it does not alert. Seems the data feed is lacking somewhat (can't blame rlink as it displays fine, but can blame the data feed which is simply wrong most of the time).

Still thinking about it , after all I don't use Live Traffic or SatNav that often . I may run it for a while without updating  and see what , if any , differences it makes 

The maps aren't that great at all, just not worth paying for renewal. Doesn't even tell you where the speed cameras are (not that I ever speed )

The maps aren't that great at all, just not worth paying for renewal. Doesn't even tell you where the speed cameras are (not that I ever speed )

My old Megane, had TomTom, which was great and it was worth the renewing subscription as it actually worked! I have a second satnav which I use when going into the unknown

2 hours ago, CraigPur said:

My old Megane, had TomTom, which was great and it was worth the renewing subscription as it actually worked! I have a second satnav which I use when going into the unknown

Was it Carminat TomTom as it was in my Scenic ? . That was excellent . Accurate and cost me £27 a year for 4 guaranteed updates a year ( via TomTom Home ) , well worth it :)

Was it Carminat TomTom as it was in my Scenic ? . That was excellent . Accurate and cost me £27 a year for 4 guaranteed updates a year ( via TomTom Home ) , well worth it 

It was Carminat, and you could also find places around you. The R-Link gives you some places near by, but land up using your phone to find the rest

3 minutes ago, CraigPur said:

It was Carminat, and you could also find places around you. The R-Link gives you some places near by, but land up using your phone to find the rest

And it was far more accurate . I think I said in my first Kadjar review that the Navigation was a backward step for the Kadjar . Of course , it was all about generating extra revenue for Renault's coffers rather than TomTom . How many have or will pay the subscription for new maps ?  I wonder if that backfired on Renault .

And it was far more accurate . I think I said in my first Kadjar review that the Navigation was a backward step for the Kadjar . Of course , it was all about generating extra revenue for Renault's coffers rather than TomTom . How many have or will pay the subscription for new maps ?  I wonder if that backfired on Renault .

I really don't link the R-Link. Think they would have done a lot more research before putting it into a new brand of Renault! Think having the R-Link will help me decide on my next car.
I emailed them to ask them if there is an option to remove R-Link and have the Carminat back in the car. So waiting for a response.

18 minutes ago, CraigPur said:

I really don't link the R-Link. Think they would have done a lot more research before putting it into a new brand of Renault! Think having the R-Link will help me decide on my next car.
I emailed them to ask them if there is an option to remove R-Link and have the Carminat back in the car. So waiting for a response.

Can't say I didn't like the R Link apart from the Nav . There were little glitches , most of which didn't bother me other than being told incessantly to slow down when I wasn't speeding . It was more that Renault didn't seem to understand the system themselves .I don't think Carminat will be back given that Renault seem to be drifting toward CarPlay and Android Auto . Hope you get a definitive answer from Renault though I suspect you won't or it will be ,at best ,vague .

2 hours ago, jay_uk said:

Is it possible that the r link system falls back to TMC for it's traffic if no TomTom subscription is present? Would explain the continued traffic info...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mine never worked with or without TomTom Traffic subscription , so I don't think that's the issue . 

Ah ok, that's a shame!

Sideline question: are the speed camera alerts only active when the TomTom sub is active or do you still get the alerts but no updates when it expires?

The Kadjar will warn when exceeding the speed limit or in a known mobile trap with or without Live Traffic . For live info it's better to use Waze or Google Maps 

Got it. So I assume it's part of the map not the TomTom subscription then and although it will get out dated over time, they will continue to work.

Tbf I've always just used my phone before (with Android Auto) but since the kids were born I don't tend to find that I need to know about every single camera really.

Thanks for the info!