• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Are Renault Givin Up On R Link ?
4 4

32 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Notty72 said:

Looks like it m8 but not suprised are you lol

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Not in the slightest :). On a more serious note , if this applies to the Kadjar , where will we stand for R Link updates and support ? They are already less than useless now

Open source which everybody can modify and establish own standards compatibile only with itself has no future... so why Samsung will drop Android...
other problem is that R-Link2 is latest thing in Renaults (Megane, Scenic, Latitude, Kadjar, Espace, even Clio) and with this kind of non-support and 'take-it-easy approach' Renaults spitting in his own pot... non-present functionality, outdated maps for navigation, lack of applications, lack of quality support... mine even is not equipped with DAB unit... like it is not available for your country but it was advertised with DAB... but nothing can do because there is always a small print... like 'depends of country and availability'...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They may not necessarily be dropping it , possibly it's only for the next generation of autonomous vehicles ( I believe Toyota have joined with Microsoft too )  . It seems odd that Renault seem have no faith in R Link's ability to provide the necessary accuracy and control though. 

And jet all new cars has it... even new Koleos... so all acurate generation has a half product like garage production. Shame on Renault or something in develop will happen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just my opinion but i'm sure the article is only referring to cloud based connectivity to apps. So it is probably more about using apps on there, (the cloud) instead of physically storing them (as Windows does now with office etc).

To blame android for Rlink's faults is a bit of a non starter, as you can only alter the physical look and embedded features of android on a system (which is why Samsung decided to develop it's own OS as they wanted amongst other things, their own fingerprint recognition system). To obtain an android license a strict set of rules must be observed, the kernal itself is left untouched.  (Linux is truly open source Android is not per se.Google owns and controls Android with input from main licence holders. The software Renault have installed, their own or 3rd party is at fault, not the OS.  (Imagine putting kung po tyres on a Ferrari and blaming the car for lack of handling).

I would imagine if they are only just setting up a partnership now I wouldn't expect anything to appear for about 5 years, it's not a quick process. Like some one said, probably next gen models. 

I think most of Rlinks woes from what I have seen on here are from the software, lack of knowledge from dealers (remember they are technicians not mechanics now) and awful customer care from bothb, dealers and Renault.

Remember any OS is obsolete the instant it is released, they are already working on the next car to replace your brand new one. Sorry for the ramble 😊.

@ coldewol  Agree with most that you are saying there  but the press release does say "  These new services aim to produce improved navigation, remote monitoring of car features, over-the-air updates, predictive maintenance and better mobile experiences  "

So I would say it's a little more than more apps , though that would figure strongly ( subscription generation and all that ) . Does the improved navigation imply that they'll be kicking NNG into touch as they did with TomTom ? 

As you say , it probably isn't in the near future . But if it did happen within the warranty period of the car possibly rendering R Link obsolete , would they be obliged to replace the R Link free of charge ? Ethically ,I would say yes . In the real world ,probably not

Nothing to stop them putting new software into our R link is there? Unless the issue is hardware ie GPS receiver. No reason I can think of except Renault not wanting to lose revenue.... I reckon once the warranty period is over (or even before), you will see 'rooted' R link systems with a whole world of possibilies 😊. 

One thing for certain , bearing the press release in mind ,I will be very wary of buying another Renault ( perhaps I should say even more wary , considering my opinion of Renault Support ;) ) . I did like the look of the new Scenic until I saw it had R Link 2 .

MBK    1

I must be pretty odd then, I like the R-Link in my Kadjar. I like my Kadjar even more than that! 

Why are folk complaining about Renault? That's an honest question, I don't have a problem at all. I've had my Kadjar for nearly twelve months and wouldn't trade it for owt! Well, maybe a four wheel drive version but that's just me.......

2 minutes ago, MBK said:

I must be pretty odd then, I like the R-Link in my Kadjar. I like my Kadjar even more than that! 

Why are folk complaining about Renault? That's an honest question, I don't have a problem at all. I've had my Kadjar for nearly twelve months and wouldn't trade it for owt! Well, maybe a four wheel drive version but that's just me.......

Read the posts and you'll see why . It has a few bugs of which Renault have fixed a couple . Personally I'm a little annoyed that you can't update the R Link , as described by Renault , meaning a trip to the dealers each time . Allied with the fact that dealing with Support is a nightmare , dishonesty , lack of knowledge and the ability to attend to the issues or they just plain don't care . Take your pick .

After owning a Kadjar for 12 months , I'm of the same opinion as you about the car not the care though :)

Prime example of service/support today. I arranged through R-Link support to have my R-Link updated to resolve the speed camera isssue ( mph showing as kph)

The paperwork I received from the dealer showed the work completed as "R-Link updated and tested". However when I ran bye a speed camera there was nothing showing, the reason, they had removed my maps.

I've emailed support to ask their view on this and await their reply with baited breath. In total 2 hours in the dealer and 90 minutes messing around to upload the maps myself.

Also wiped my maps once and couldn't restore them . I had to rearrange another visit for them to do this because they needed a " dongle " . A day after they'd been unable to restore the maps ,I did it myself .

Three weeks later I went back for them to restore the maps with the " dongle" . Half hour after going in they proudly announced " We've got your maps back now ".....pricelesss...muppets :)

15 minutes ago, Topographic said:

R Link Evolution was in the Twingo.

R Link was their first attempt, followed by R Link Evolution, followed by R Link 2 (we have that), followed by R Link 3 (on Kadjar produced starting with November)....

Our is the worst! Because R Link at least has (had) maps on an SD card and this was easier to hack.:ph34r:

On 27/09/2016 at 6:30 PM, Notty72 said:

Nothing wrong with the Android platform as long as it's done properly and clearly the r-link isn't

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Android every time, better than Iphone or otherwise know as I(DIOT)phone. Having said that, they are ideal for those that like to be dictated to where as Android allows you to screw your own life up and have what you want, fully developed or not Apps. Renault need to give access to developers so there are better apps. Perhaps those apps that already exist that are a little buggy will get fixed as well?

Perhaps they are beginning to downplay the R link system and the store. I picked my new kadjar up from the dealer yesterday and There was no handbook for the r link just a little quick start guide and instructions that the full handbook could be accessed on the unit itself by pressing the pop up menu button from the system menu then touching 'User manual'. To me this doesn't seem a very practical way of doing things as you would have to keep going back and forth from the manual to the bit of the system you are trying to sort out.  There was no mention at all of apps or the store.

1 hour ago, bari said:

Perhaps they are beginning to downplay the R link system and the store. I picked my new kadjar up from the dealer yesterday and There was no handbook for the r link just a little quick start guide and instructions that the full handbook could be accessed on the unit itself by pressing the pop up menu button from the system menu then touching 'User manual'.

What type of Kadjar do you have? Mark 1 or Mark 2?