• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Williams F1 Ceramic Coat Paint Protection: Yes or No?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Got the confirmation of registration details in today's post for my new Dynamique Nav 110 dCi (yay!) and a nice call from the pre-delivery guys at Holden Renault in Norwich. Took me through what they will do during handover and what I need to bring, then proceeded to try and sell me their "Lifetime Paint Protection" for the bargain price of £349. They apparently use Williams F1 Ceramic Coat which I've done a bit of research on – opinions seem divided.

What do you think? I've always rejected them in the past but this sounds a bit different to the normal crap – or is it just good marketing?

Part of me thinks it might be better to book it in for a day with a detailer and have it professionally polished and protected for about the same price (or less).

I've never bought it, the dealers even try to sell it on used cars. How do you know it's not been used on a used car already and your throwing away all that money for something that's already supposedly protecting the car. Sceptical

The prep is the most important I doubt a dealer will spend time getting the surface perfect before applying the clear coat

Yeah that's my concern too. When they call back this weekend I might probe them on exactly what they do by way of prep.

I have flame red and Polish or with dodo juice orange crush wax when it was in for the rlink update the manager asked what I had used as it felt like glass and the finish was better than anything they could do. They also sell sealant

My dealer provided something called Gen3 glass coat which is also a ceramic coating. It seems to work very well at clearing rainwater off the bodywork. Comes with an aftercare kit (shampoo, bird dropping remover spray, upholstery cleaner and cloths). This came as part of free package with mats and boot liner when I bought the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Given what I've read so far, if the car isn't prepped properly before application then I wouldn't want it even if free. If they use a professional detailing company then I might go for it (and try and get them down), but if it's just their own monkeys slapping some protective products on after giving the car a wash, then I'll probably pass.

Spoke to the dealer again just now. He's nothing if not persistent (he really does want that commission). When asked about prep, he went very vague. Apparently they will remove the transit wax, wash the car and polish it, then apply the 'wonder' product. All done by themselves. "Only" £349.

Given that my usual valeter will do a wash, dry, polish, carnauba wax it then seal with Supagard for £149, I think I know where I'd rather spend my hard earned. Failing that, I'll spend £350 on a proper new car detail by a professional detailer.

I had gen 3 glass coat on mine at the dealer for £200 and it looks fantastic, the car is black and it shines like new when washed.

I have had people comment on it when it is clean. I had supaguard on my last Nissan and that was good but it did not look as good as the gen 3 glass coat on black finish.

It takes a detailer 5 to 6 hours to apply a sealant to the paint, another 2 hours for wheels( wheels removed) and an hour for interior , even Gtechnic crystal serum which is acknowledged to be the best is only guaranteed 7 years http://gtechniq.com/about-gtechniq/crystal-serum/. Save your money, go to a professional detailer to have it done properly , that kit for the ahem Williams f1 team , lol can be bought for between 25 to 80 pounds, dealers have so much commission on these, just like gap insurance that they do in house with their chamois and sponge monkeys

I have now found a professional detailer who will prep it properly (rinse, pre-foam, wash, dry, decontaminate with chemicals and clay bar if necessary), then 2-stage DiamondBrite applied to the exterior by hand and clean the interior and protect with Gyeon Q2 Fabricoat, all for less than half what the dealer wanted.

Just to close this thread out, I've just had the car detailed and protected inside and out. Someone at Renault must have done something right, as there were only 4 spots of decontamination that showed up during the paint prep and no noticeably rough patches. Still, nice to know that the bodywork has been properly prepped before being protected. A few shiny photos below.

14425369_1259754270732681_1004118745297351229_o.jpg

14444603_1259754357399339_8523093953781537077_o.jpg

14468324_1259754434065998_3246340056709020114_o.jpg