• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Manual transmission whine, 1.2 Tce
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I collected my new Kadjar 1.2 Tce Energy few months ago and since then made some 8000 km (5000 miles). So far I like the car in any perspective.

Sometime ago I noticed a whining noise coming from the engine bay. There was no such noise when I picked the car, but I hear it slowly developing by time (and miles).
Not something too loud for now, but definitely a dominant sound at speeds between 70 and 100 km/h (40-60 miles/h).
Sounds pretty much as a gearbox. But since it's present at any gear, even in neutral and when the clutch is depressed, I'm locating it more like something around the differential. Even more, since it's pitch clearly depends on the car speed.

Any similar experiences, thoughts, or recommendations?

It's a manual 6-speed gearbox, Renault TL4, as found on a label.
Car is (as all petrols) 2WD.

Thanks!  

Hi coldewol,

Thanks on your answer, sure I will follow the advice and visit the dealer, just in case.
I thought there must be gears connecting the output shaft with the differential, which (the gears) are always rotating with the wheels, even with clutch depressed.
Is this correct? (So to increase my competence before I meet the dealer :-))

Thanks and regards! 

If you mean the noise is always there only when you are moving then possibly diff or a bearing. If it is in neutral and moving and still the same it is more likely a wheel bearing or some other rotational part. Diff noises tend to alter in tone when under load/ no load. could even be a tire! Hard to tell without hearing it. Better off letting a dealer mechanic listen.

I don't think so. In my case there is a noise between 70-80km/h no matter if I accelerate or gear is on neutral. I suppose it can be bearing or even tyres. I will wait with dealer visit after changing to winter tyres. Or... maybe my ears are oversensitive :) this is my first petrol car, before only diesels :)

Hi, after first service (RLink update) I told service technician about this noise. He drive some kilometers and told me that this is for sure sound of tyres and nothing to be worried about

Hi,

I finally visited my dealer to prematurely change oil and reported a noise too.
I'm not sure if they considered my reporting seriously enough, but result is that they did not hear any unusual noise and that engine and drivetrain work fine. They told me that gearbox liquid is OK. So I am not worried any more. If something anyway goes wrong, it's now on their soul :).

I changed the tyres to the winter ones and whine is still there, unchanged. I don't think that the sound comes from tyres. With some luck, I'll once try to record the noise.

Tophographic suggested it could be turbo. No, I don't think so. "My" whine pitch clearly depends on the wheels revolution, while turbo's pitch depends on the speed of exhaust gases (or how much I depress the pedal). I can hear the turbo sound and I like it!