• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Disoriented Compass
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed that the compass (dispayed in screen when navigation not in use) is the wrong way round?

Mine seems to be showing a mirror image of what it should be showing. When I am heading North or South then the correct arrow is pointing upwards but if I'm heading East tgen the North arrow is pointing to the right and so West is pointing upwards.

The compass doesn't actually have NESW letters in it but there is a red arrow which I assume should mean North.

As I drive along, when I turn right I would expect the compass arrow to rotate anti-clockwise but instead it rotates clockwise.

Very confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've noticed the same thing. There is another compass. Go to display, select display layout type 2 layout (I think; if not try another layout) and then press the button on the right hand side of the steering wheel that looks like a book, and the compass will appear on the right hand side of the display. Each type has a different thing appear, like horsepower for example.

I had the same problem with my new Scenic.  The short answer is:  The 'dashboard' compass always points North.  The R-Link compass widget always points in the direction the car is travelling.  Took me a while, maps and real compass and a map reading friend to solve the issue!!  Ian

I've noticed the same thing. There is another compass. Go to display, select display layout type 2 layout (I think; if not try another layout) and then press the button on the right hand side of the steering wheel that looks like a book, and the compass will appear on the right hand side of the display. Each type has a different thing appear, like horsepower for example.

I like the little display compass you mention, but I prefer seeing a 'proper' speedo rather than a number. Wish I could have the compass with screen 4 but it seems it is not customisable

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I have just bought a new Kadjar. The compass on the main display is always correct while the small compass on the dash is always a vertical mirror image, so, for example,  when the main display compass correctly points to North at 10 o'clock, the small compass on the dash display shows North at 2 o'clock. I've done a number of tests and the results are always the same - mirror image on the dash compass. A couple of examples attached...

Kadjar_1 and Kadjar_2 are a matching pair taken at the same time while the vehicle was stationary. The compass on the main display shows NORTH at the 10 o'clock position while the compass on the dashboard display shows NORTH at the 2 o'clock position. The compass on the main display is correct.

Kadjar_3 and Kadjar_4 are also a matching pair taken at the same time while stationary. The compass on the main display shows NORTH at the 4 o'clock position (correctly) while the compass on the dashboard shows NORTH at 8 o'clock.

I've raised a case with the R-Link Helpline. I'll copy any reply I get here.

Kadjar_2_20171026_163432.jpg

Kadjar_1_20171026_163427.jpg

Kadjar_3_20171026_163540.jpg

Kadjar_4_20171026_163545.jpg

When your car is not moving the compass is less accurate. 

The "compass" is actually your GPS position. It gets your direction by comparing your last two positions.  If you are not moving, your direction is actually just an artifact of the error in your GPS location. The error in your direction reduces with movement. The faster you move, the more accurate it will be. All of this has nothing to do with the Earth's magnetic north.

44 minutes ago, Buder said:

When your car is not moving the compass is less accurate. 

The "compass" is actually your GPS position. It gets your direction by comparing your last two positions.  If you are not moving, your direction is actually just an artifact of the error in your GPS location. The error in your direction reduces with movement. The faster you move, the more accurate it will be. All of this has nothing to do with the Earth's magnetic north.

I had been driving for some time and stopped to take the photos. The compass on the dash is still a mirror image of the compass on the central display.

I have just this minute received the following email from the R link help desk...

"I would like to thank you for your most recent feedback regarding the compasses. Actually, I have just been updated on the situation. In fact, this is an issue that has now been identified by the Developers. The Compasses should not be pointing in different directions at all and a fix for this has now been suggested for a future update."